- Background Information
Public organisation “Ukrainian center for Civic Initiatives ‘Svitlo” (www.gosvitlo.org.ua), is seeking potential candidates for English teacher positions to deliver English language trainings and cultural activities for youth within the English Access Microscholarship Program (ACCESS Program) implemented with support from the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine and the U.S. Department of State.
Public organisation “UCCI ‘Svitlo” currently implements the ACCESS program in 7 locations in Ukraine. It is a two-year program (360 hours) that provides a great opportunity for 13 to 15 year-olds from underserved and low-income families to learn about U.S. culture and values, deepen their knowledge of the English language, develop leadership skills and take an active part in the development of Ukraine.
The program consists of two components:
1) English language lessons according to the students’ level, and
2) Cultural activities that build understanding of the United States.
The ACCESS Program seeks suitable candidates to fill in two ACCESS English Teacher positions in Kyiv and in two in Kherson.
The ideal candidates should be innovative teachers of English who value meaningful communication, content-based activities, and a student-centered learning environment. Self-development is also a key aim of Access Enhancement activities, which often takes place outside of the classroom. Far less emphasis is placed on traditional approaches to language teaching, for example, grammar, testing, and rote memorization. In short, the experiences of Access students should differ markedly from their experiences in regular English classes.
2.Roles and Responsibilities of Access English Teacher
The objective of the ACCESS Teacher position is to deliver the ACCESS program classes and cultural activities as specified further by this Job Description.
Teachers’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Selecting appropriate textbooks and materials that reach the program objectives.
- Developing a course syllabus that clearly outlines the topics of the classes and expectations of the students.
- Developing and implementing quality lesson plans according to the ACCESS Program objectives.
- Holding classes and conduct enhancement activities in accordance with the schedule and curriculum approved by the ACCESS Provider.
- Designing evaluation materials to properly assess student’s progress in accordance with the benchmarks established at the start of the program.
- Conduct student assessments on a regular basis.
- Submit progress reports according to the schedule established by the Provider.
- Ensure student portfolios are filed, accessible and frequently updated.
- Monitoring and regularly updating dossiers of the students’ attendance and notifying the coordinator of students’ progress through regular written reports.
- Developing, planning, and implementing the enhancement activities according to the Access Program objectives and duties listed above.
- Ensuring the health and safety of the students during planned classes and activities.
- Seeking to improve methodical and pedagogical skills through participation in seminars, lessons offered by visiting experienced colleagues, and self-directed professional development.
3. Qualification Requirements
Teachers’ qualifications may include but are not limited to:
- Holding university degree(s) with the qualification “English Language Teacher” and at least three years of experience working with pupils/students.
- Strong desire and motivation to work with disadvantaged youth.
- Dedication to working with ACCESS students for two years.
- Ability to organize and participate in enhancement and out-of-class activities.
- Willingness to attend professional development and ACCESS Program events organized by the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
- Availability for about 5-6 hours a week in the afternoons on weekdays or on the weekends during regular school semesters from February 2020 through July 2021.
- Availability for intensive sessions during one to two-week long summer camps that will be organized for Access students in summer 2021 (day time camps, and residential camps).
- Basic knowledge of and appreciation for U.S. society and culture, especially as it refers to the following holidays: Earth Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Thanksgiving.
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint), an Internet browser (Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Netscape, etc.), and e-mail.
A competitive remuneration for teachers is foreseen based on the number of class hours.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted by GO UCCI “Svitlo”, or Regional English Language Office of the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine that will have interviews with the pre-selected candidates.
- The final decision about inviting successful candidates to join the Access program will be taken in February 2020.
- Along with competencies demonstrated by the candidates during the pre-selection process, the final decision will also depend on approval of the abovementioned locations for the program.
5. How to Apply
Please submit the following documents in English via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the note in the subject of the message ‘ACCESS Teacher_Location (for example, Kyiv)_Your Family Name’
- Motivation Letter
- Short video/s of lesson/s demonstrating your teaching techniques
- Examples or references to personal programs used in teaching practices (if, available)
Deadline for Applications: February 20, 2020.
Interviews with the candidates are planned to be held in the end of February 2020. If necessary, applications may be accepted until the position is filled, and the vacancy may close without notice. If you have interest in this position, it is highly recommended that you apply as soon as possible upon seeing this announcement.Vacancy_EnglishTeacher_U S Embassy Access Program_Kherson
Vacancy_EnglishTeacher_U S Embassy Access Program_Kyiv